The link to the Isle of Man no longer operates, having first been moved to Stranraer until all Scottish services terminated.Shell-Mex operated an [oil refinery] on behalf of the Air Ministry, from a World War II aviation-fuel canning factory, and the harbour was expanded for the company's tanker ships to berth.Fishing vessels and small cargo boats were the mainstay of the shipyard until the 1950s, when the yard ceased to exist as a result of foreign competition.A smaller yard, Mc Crindle's, operated until the 1980s before it ceased trading.
Between 18 Ardrossan was a part of the "West Coast Main Line" equivalent of its time.
In 2014 work started on new office accommodation beside the marina, with works due to be completed in summer 2015.
The North Shore project includes the redevelopment of the oil refinery site and the extension of the marina.
The numbers dropped and in 1820 the remaining animals were dispersed. Ardrossan developed during the 18th and 19th centuries thanks to its position on the coast.
Exports of coal and pig iron to Europe and North America were the main trade from the town's port, which became a centre for shipbuilding.